Panola College CARES Act Student Relief Fund
Panola College will begin accepting applications for the CARES Act Student Relief Fund grants on April 27, 2020. These grants will provide direct financial support to students impacted by the coronavirus and COVID-19. The application will remain open until May 22, 2020. Funds will be dispersed after the application has closed and applicants have been verified. This will take place in June 2020. Grant amounts will be determined at that time.
Funded by the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the grants will be awarded to students to help cover for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus including technology, housing, utilities, food and other expenses.
According to the Department of Education, in order to be eligible, students must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be attending and participating in at least 3 credit hours or a workforce certificate program at Panola College as of March 13, 2020.
- Students may not be international or DACA students.
- Dual credit high school students are not eligible.
- Applicants must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- A valid Social Security number is required.
The online application is a simple form asking for name, student ID number, and current mailing address. The form includes boxes for applicants to check indicating what financial needs they have that are related to the coronavirus and verify enrollment criteria.
Students will have 30 days to complete and submit the form. Once the applications are verified and grant amounts are determined, the Panola College business office will send the funds directly to the students by debit card, direct deposit or check. Students should indicate their choice of fund delivery by logging into their Campus Connect accounts on the Panola College website.
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting- Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
- Panola College acknowledges that the institution has signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and attests that we intend to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Panola College received a total amount of $753,666 from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- Panola College has not distributed any Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of May 6, 2020.
- The estimated total number of students at Panola College eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 1,018.
- No students received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant as of May 6, 2020.
- Emergency Financial Aid Grants amounts will be disbursed on a case by case basis using
the following formula. The evaluation of the need will be based on the following
a. Each student that applies and was enrolled as of March 13, 2020, in 3 or more hours requiring a face-to-face component at Panola College will receive an equal amount based on the number of applicants.
b. May not exceed $1000.00
- All instructions, directions, or guidance provided by the Panola College to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants are listed above.