Choose FAQ Category

Medical Laboratory Technology

When are classes/clinicals?

All classes for the Medical Laboratory Technology program are offered online. There are four clinicals for the MLT program that can be offered in the fall, spring, or summer semesters of the degree plan. These clinicals require students to attend 96 hours onsite at a clinical facility.

When do new students start the program?

Students may start in either the fall or spring semester. Please note that there are several courses that are only offered in either the fall or spring semester.


What credentials will I be able to sit for with this program?

For the Medical Laboratory Technology program, the students once graduated can apply for either the ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) or AMT (American Medical Technologies Exam).

What does it take to get into the program?

The Medical Laboratory Technology Program is an open program. Once you have completed all admission requirements and have been accepted to Panola College, there is nothing extra you must do in order to be enrolled in this program. Just contact the Academic Administration office to get registered for classes.

The Promise Program

Can I count the volunteer hours I completed with another organization?

Yes! For example, if you volunteer at the concession stand or work a booth at Potlatch as part of a high school organization, you can count those same hours towards the volunteer hours needed for the Promise Program.

Can I promote a volunteer opportunity for students?

Yes! We want to share your volunteer service opportunities with our Promise Program scholars. All submissions should come from verified organizations and follow the rules below. 

You can complete the Promise Program: Volunteer Opportunity Submission Form here.

Rules for Volunteer Service Opportunities for Promise Program students:

1. Scholars should not be used in place of student workers. 

2. Scholars may not receive any compensation for volunteer hours.

3. Student's volunteer verification form must be completed by April 30 each year. Please keep this in mind when submitting the form.

Other important information:

  • All submissions will be reviewed to ensure they meet the requirements. 
  • Completion of this form does not guarantee volunteers or that your opportunity will be posted. Students will reach out to you in regard to their willingness to participate. 
  • Submissions should be received at least two weeks or more prior to the event.

Do I have to attend Panola College if I sign up for the Promise Program?

No. Participation in the Promise Program is NOT a commitment to attend Panola College. It is an opportunity to earn the Panola College Promise Scholarship, as needed. If you decide not to attend Panola College, you are free to withdraw from the Promise Program at any time.

How do I submit my volunteer hours?

  • Submit the Volunteer Service Verification Form by April 30 each year.
  • Submit all service hours for Panola Promise on this electronic form.
  • Submit the form after all 25 hours of volunteer service projects are completed.
  • All submissions should total 25 or more hours to meet the requirement.
  • Volunteer hours are self-reported.
  • You will need the name of the person you volunteered with and their phone number to complete the volunteer form.
  • Volunteer hours can be the same hours completed for another organization. For example, if you volunteer at the concession stand as a band member, that will also count towards your volunteer service for the Promise Program.

How many hours of volunteer service am I supposed to complete while I am in high school?

  • Twenty-five (25) service hours or more in your sophomore year of high school.
  • Twenty-five (25) service hours or more in your junior year of high school.
  • Twenty-five (25) service hours or more in your senior year of high school.

I completed the pledge form. Now what?


After you complete the pledge form, you will receive an email confirmation letting you know we received your pledge. Our offices will begin verifying students' eligibility with the high school after the pledge has closed on November 30. This process involves multiple offices at Panola College and your high school and may take us a few weeks. You can expect an email with more information about your eligibility in January.

If you are a current high school sophomore, live in Panola County, and have a 2.0 GPA or higher, we recommend that you start working towards your 25 volunteer service hours as soon as possible. You must complete all 25 hours by April 30 of each year.

Once you receive confirmation that you are enrolled in the Promise Program, you and your parent/guardian will receive 4 to 5 emails and text messages each year with information and reminders about the program. 


What are the requirements to remain in the Promise Program while at Panola College?

  • Must start classes in the Fall semester after high school graduation.
  • Must enroll in the Learning Framework course and a math course (if required for the degree program) in the first fall semester.
  • Must enroll in a minimum of 9 semester hours.
  • Must attend an academic advising session each semester.
  • Must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  • Must complete the general scholarship application by March 31 each spring before attending the fall semester.

What counts as volunteer service hours?

Hours must be volunteered, and students may not receive any payment or reward for participating. Providing false information will result in the student's disqualification from the Promise Program. 

Some examples of Volunteer/Community Service:

  • Helping at a nursing home
  • Volunteering at a food pantry
  • Assisting a civic organization
  • Tutoring
  • Community clean-up
  • Volunteer with a church group
  • Assisting with community projects

What do I need to do to prove I completed my volunteer hours?

To report your volunteer hours, you will need the dates, times, volunteer activity, and the name and phone number of the person who supervised you during your volunteer hours. Volunteer hours are self-reported and will be randomly audited. 


You can view the volunteer reporting form for more information - 

What is the Promise Program?

The Panola College Promise will support students’ success in completing a certificate, degree, or transferring to a four-year university. The Program covers the tuition and fees for every eligible Panola County high school graduate for up to three consecutive years immediately following graduation.

The Program provides a scholarship that is a last-pay scholarship only covering tuition and fees not already covered by other scholarships or federal and state grants. Any federal, state, or institutional awards or scholarships granted to the student will be applied to the tuition and fees first. The Panola College Promise will be the final resource applied for in-district tuition and fees at Panola College.*

The Program will cover up to 66 course hours or six consecutive 16-week terms, whichever happens first.

Students that do not complete the required course(s) in their first fall semester will be ineligible for additional scholarships.

*It is not a requirement to receive federal, state, or other institutional awards to receive the Panola College Promise. Textbooks and supplies are not covered under this program.

When can I start earning my volunteer hours?

Timeline to earn volunteer hours

August 1 to April 30 during your sophomore year:

June 1 to April 30 during your junior year.

June 1 to April 30 during your senior year.


Volunteer hours must take place during the appropriate academic year. Students cannot use volunteer hours accrued during their freshman year or the summer after their freshman year. After enrolling in the program in the fall of their sophomore year, students can count their summer volunteer hours for the next year.

When do I need to complete my volunteer service hours?

All 25 volunteer service hours must be completed between June 1 and April 30 each year.

Which programs can I enroll in through the Promise Program?

Academic & Technical

  • Nursing and Health Sciences
    • Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) (RN)
    • Licenced Vocational Nursing (LVN)
    • Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA)
    • Emergency Medical Sciences (EMT) / Paramedic
    • Health Information Technology
    • Medical Assistant
    • Medical Laboratory Technology
  • Education
  • Fine Arts and Humanities
  • Kinesiology
  • Science and Mathematics
  • Social and Behavioral Sciences
  • Computer Information Technology
  • Cybersecurity
  • Business
  • Cosmetology
  • Energy
    • Electrical and Instrumentation
    • HVAC
    • Petroleum Technology
    • Agriculture
    • Welding Technology

Workforce and Continuing Education

  • Nurse Aide (CNA)
  • Medication Aide
  • Patient Care Technician
  • Phlebotomy Technician
  • EKG Technician
  • Dental Assistant
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Professional Truck Driving (CDL)
  • Paraprofessional Certification

Who is eligible to participate in the Promise Program?

Eligible students must:

  • Reside in Panola County while in the program.
  • Register for the program by November 30 of their sophomore year of high school.
  • Complete 25 hours of volunteer service by April 30 each year of high school.
  • Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher in high school.
  • Submit the FAFSA and complete Panola College's general scholarship application by March 31, their senior year.


How can I change my major?

Contact the admissions office at

How do I change my personal information with the school?

Contact the admissions office at

How do I contact the IT Helpdesk?

Contact Distance Learning at

How do I drop/withdraw from a class?

Contact the admissions office at from your Panola email address. If you are a dual credit student, you must contact your high school counselor

How do I order my transcripts?

To order your transcript online click here

I need help getting access to Canvas

Contact Distance Learning at

Is there a way to transfer or change to an all-online class

If the class is offered both online or face to face, it is possible to switch up to the last day to registration.   

What are the first and last days of classes in the semester?

The first day of fall 2021 is August 18, 2021 and ends on December 7, 2021.

What is the last date to add or drop a class for this semester?

For fall 2021 the last day to add a class is 8/23/2021. To withdraw from a class, review the drop date list at

When can I register for Fall/Spring/Summer/etc. classes?

Any time after Apr. 7, 2021.

Where can I replace my Student ID card?

Student IDs can be replaced at MCC, SRTC, and Student Center. If you are dual credit student, please contact your high school counselor.

Who do I contact if I have a hold on my account?

It depends. Contact the department that has the hold on your account. You can check on your hold by visiting your Campus Connect account.

Who do I contact if I want to transfer?

Contact the admissions office at

Will classes be virtual or in-person this semester?

All campuses are operating as normal and offer both options for most classes.

Financial Aid

Can I receive aid for the summer?

Financial aid is available for summer course.  To see if you qualify,  complete the summer I and II financial aid applications starting in April.

How do I get a loan?

You MUST be enrolled in 6 credit hours to qualify for loans:

  • Complete "Applying for Financial Aid" steps first
  • Complete the Entrance Counseling 
  • Complete the Loan agreement for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN)
  • Complete the Direct Loan Request form

See "Apply for a Student Loan" for more information on the Financial Aid page.

If I drop a class, will this affect my financial aid?

Maybe. This is different for each individual student. Please contact the financial office to find out how dropping a class affects your personal financial aid.

Steps for applying for financial aid

Applying for Financial Aid

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  2. Complete the additional paperwork required by the Department of Education --  you must log into Student CampusConnect to complete missing documents

When do we get excess funds?

Fall 2021 financial aid excess funds will be dispersed on September 30, 2021.

When is the deadline for submitting the FAFSA?

The FAFSA and all necessary paperwork should be completed before your bill is due for the semester.

Where can I find scholarships?

Here is the link to the scholarship webpage

Where can I get an update on the status of my financial aid?

You can find your log into Student CampusConnect and select "Review Financial Aid".

Who do I contact with questions about filling out my FAFSA?

The financial aid office can help you! Call us at 903-693-2035 or email us

Student Services

How can I request an unofficial transcript online?

You can print one directly from your Student Campus Connect

How can I request an unofficial transcript online?

You can print one directly from your Student Campus Connect

How do I apply to live on campus?

Fill out the application at

How do I contact an advisor?

Fill out the form to request an appointment or call us at 903-693-2048

How do I contact an advisor?

Fill out the form to request an appointment or call us at 903-693-2048.

How does tutoring work?

Contact student services at 2048 to find out your tutoring options

Is there a new dean's list every semester


Is there a new dean's list every semester?


What are the Fitness Center hours?

M-Th 7:30 am- 5:00 pm; F 7:30 am - 12:30 pm

What do I do if I need ADA accommodations?

Contact disability support services at 
Telephone: (903) 693-2046
Fax: (903) 693-2031

When are residence halls closed?

December 9, 2021

When are residence halls open?

August 14, 2021

When can I apply for graduation?

When you register for your final semester complete the application here 

Where can I apply for graduation?

When you register for your final semester complete the application here 

Where can I apply for graduation?

When you register for your final semester complete the application here 

Where do I go for testing accommodations due to a disability?

Contact disability support services at 
Telephone: (903) 693-2046
Fax: (903) 693-2031

Who can I talk to to get help with finding a job?

Visit our virtual career coach at

Who do I contact to take the HESI test?

Contact the testing center at 903-693-2036 or find out more info here

Who do I contact to take the TSI test?

Contact the testing center at 903-693-2036 or find out more info here

College Store

Can I purchase my textbooks online?

Yes, absolutely! All textbook ordering information can be found here.

How do I use my Financial Aid in the Panola College Store?

Bring your student ID card with your number on it, and show it to the cashier.  For online orders, choose “Financial Aid” as the form of payment and make sure you include your student ID number in your information.

I need instructions for ordering textbooks online.

All textbook ordering information can be found here.

Please explain how textbook pricing works?

We often hear that textbooks cost too much.  To see the textbook pricing is explained in detail, please visit 

What holidays is the Panola College Store closed?

All planned holidays will be listed under announcements on our website here. 

What is needed to sell my textbooks back for cash?

Nothing but the textbooks.  You do not need anything else.  

What is the textbook refund policy?

To see the full refund policy, please visit

When can I purchase my textbooks?

All textbook ordering dates can be found under the “Announcements” section at the top of the  Panola College Store website here.

When can I sell my textbooks back for cash?

Textbook buy back for fall 2021 will be Dec 2, 9am - 4pm; Dec 3, 9am - 11am; Dec 6 - 8, 9am - 4pm


Are there textbooks in the library?

The only textbooks in the library are those that instructors have placed on reserve. Email to ask about which ones. 

Does it cost to print?

A one-sided, black  white copy is $.09, two-sided are $.17.  A one-sided color copy is $.25 and two-sided are $.47.

How do I get a HOOPLA account?

Email for assistance. 

How do I get a hotspot?

Each semester the library sends a new form to student email accounts for requesting hotspots. Submit the form for a device.

How do I get a laptop?

Each semester the library sends a new form to student email accounts for requesting laptops. Submit the form for a device.

How do I get a library card?

Your student ID is your library card. 

How do I login to the databases?

Email for assistance. 

Is the library open on weekends?

The library is not currently open on the weekends.

What time does the library close?

The library closes Monday-Thursday at 7:00 p.m., Friday at 12:30 p.m.

What time does the library open?

The library opens Monday-Friday at 7:30 a.m.

Where can I fax something?

Faxing is available at the College Store in the Charles C. Matthews Student Services Building.

Where can I print?

Printers are located on each Panola campus.  There are 2 on the main campus.  One is on the second floor of the library and the other is in the Health Science building.

Where can I scan something?

A scanner is available on the second-floor of the library in the computer area.

Digital Learning/IT Services

How do I access Canvas?

User name: your entire PC email address
Password: your PC student ID #
Click here: 

How do I access my Campus Connect account?

User name: your PC student ID #
Password: Last 4 digits of your social security #
Click here:

How do reset my email password?

Contact IT support @

I'm having trouble with HonorLock. Who do I contact?

Contact Distance Learning at

What are the Testing Center hours?

The testing center hours vary at each location. Check out the hours here

What should I bring to the testing center?

Just bring your student ID

Where is the testing center located?

Carthage - Panola College Testing Center

1109 West Panola Street
Gullette Building, Room 107
Phone: (903) 693-1159

Center - Shelby Regional Training Center

678 Roughrider Drive
Phone: (936) 591-9075
Fax: (936) 591-9056
TSI testing available

Marshall - Marshall College Center

1300 E. Pinecrest Drive
Phone: (903) 935-5039
Fax: (903) 938-3845
TSI testing available


Are any of your courses online or hybrid?

Yes.  Hybrid and web-enhanced courses are a part of our curriculum.  None of our classes are exclusively online, aligning with our philosophy of experiential learning.  Our four program hybrid courses expand and strengthen the instructional content and include weekly face-to-face instruction and lab engagement time. 


Are there any requirements or pre-requisites to apply to the program?

Yes, applicants must obtain full admission to Panola College, complete the prerequisites listed on the Admission Criteria page in the "How to Apply" dropdown on the OTA Program homepage, and must have a core curriculum course GPA of 2.50 or better.

But what if I have been convicted of a crime?

A felony conviction may affect a graduate's ability to take the NBCOT exam or obtain state licensure.  Based upon the nature and severity of criminal activity, fieldwork sites may refuse to allow a student to participate.  The OTA faculty and staff will be happy to assist you with questions regarding criminal history, certification and licensure.

Do I HAVE to pass the TASP in order to be admitted to the OTA program?

All Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements must be met within the first year of the OTA program (prior to the beginning of the third semester).   For specific information regarding TSI, click here.  Students applying to the OTA program who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher are TSI exempt for the OTA program.

How do you select students for the OTA program?

Because clinical practicum space is limited, students are admitted on a competitive basis. Preference will be given to applicants who have met TSI requirements. Students will be selected based on several factors such as residency, interview performance, and any combination of high school, GPA or equivalent, college GPA and TSI scores; see  the Admission Criteria page in the “How to Apply” dropdown on the OTA Program homepage for more details.


How is Occupational Therapy different from Physical Therapy?

Occupational therapy practitioners provide unique services by using occupations or activities to promote recovery, health and wellness. For example, while a PT or PTA might work with a client on how to use a walker or cane, an OT or OTA would help that same person figure out how to use that walker or cane safely when doing laundry, preparing meals, accessing tight spaces such as the bathroom, etc.

How long is the program?

The program is two years.

How many students do you admit per year and when?

The OTA program enrolls up to 24 new students each Fall semester.

What is Occupational Therapy?

Occupational therapy is skilled treatment that helps individuals achieve independence in all facets of their lives

What kind of instruction can I expect during OTA classes?

Based on the philosophy of experiential education (Association for Experiential Education, 2022) each OTA course emphasizes “learning by doing” through the use of hands-on learning activities that require problem-solving and learner reflection.  Furthermore, courses in the OTA program are facilitated utilizing a Team-Based Learning™ approach.  According to the Team-Based Learning Collaborative, “Team-Based Learning is an evidence-based collaborative learning teaching strategy designed around units of instruction, known as “modules,” that are taught in a three-step cycle: preparation, in-class readiness assurance testing, and application-focused exercise” (Team-Based Learning Collaborative, 2022).   As such, faculty members strive to provide meaningful, engaging learning activities (occupations) that facilitate a collaborative and interactive approach to the teaching-learning process. Clinical courses in the OTA program involve a service learning component, where students learn through engagement in projects designed to enhance the lives of local residents.   This program is designed for active learners who are ready to experience education beyond the lecture podium.


When I finish the program and pass the national certification exam, can I start providing OT services?

Not quite.  You have to first get a license to practice.  Licensure is the governmental (state) regulation of practice, designed to protect the health and welfare of the citizens of a state against unscrupulous or incompetent practice by persons who have not met prescribed qualifications. In Texas, occupational therapy assistants are required to obtain a license to practice from the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners before practicing. Failure to do so renders both the individual as well as his/her employer (if applicable) liable for misdemeanor charges and fines. The Board maintains certain rules and regulations that govern eligibility for a license, as well as requirements for licensure renewal.  For additional information, contact the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners at 333 Guadalupe, Suite 2-510, Austin, Texas 78701-3942 Tel. (512) 305-6900. If you have been charged or convicted of a felony offense, you might not be eligible for OTA licensure in Texas and for certification by the National board for Certificate in Occupational Therapy.

When I finish the program, I will automatically be a COTA?

Not quite.  Upon completion of the OTA Program, graduates will be able to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapy assistant administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of the exam, the individual will be a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA). Most states, including Texas, require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination.  A felony conviction may affect a graduate's ability to take the NBCOT exam or attain state licensure.  

When should applications be submitted?

The application is located on our website and is available from January to May.  The application should be filled out and submitted online. The due date is mid May.  The specific date will be posted on the application.

Will I automatically be accepted into the OTA program?

Not necessarily. Admission to the OTA program is on a competitive basis.