Brief History of Panola College
History: Reaching for a new millennium
"The future looks bright, and Panola Junior College is eagerly looking forward to the years to come." -The Pony Express (February 9, 1949)
In just more than 65 years, Panola College has grown in both size and in the scope of its services offered to its students and its community. The school, which was established in 1947, was created to provide young people with the opportunity to earn the first two years of a traditional baccalaureate. The services the College offers have expanded greatly to meet community needs, providing a wide range of educational and training opportunities to citizens of all ages.
The College began operating temporary buildings before the first two permanent buildings were erected in 1949. A 35-acre campus at the junction of Texas state Highway 315 and U.S. 79 in Carthage has been the school's home since its inception. There are now nineteen permanent buildings with more than 135 acres available for expansion in the coming century.
In addition to a comprehensive community college in Carthage, the school offers a variety of instructional opportunities in a four-county service area including Harrison, Marion, and Shelby counties. These three counties became part of the college's official service area by legislative act in 1995.
Enrollment at the College has grown from fewer than 100 students at the first registration in January of 1948 to over 2,600. The College provides many services which enrich the lives of individuals in the region.
In 1998 Panola College requested authority to offer distance learning classes and presently offers several distance learning degrees.